Saturday, March 06, 2010

Never Alone

I like watching my dog sleep. Once in awhile, she does my favorite thing: clicking her tongue. I assume she's reliving a tender moment with her mom as a pup. I smile, call her Baby Tanner. Then, I remember how scared she looked with we first saw her. And rightly so.

We drove north to a house on the Reservation. Two houses, actually. One main house and an apartment above the garage, only noticeable when pointed out by the confused house tenant. The woman on the phone didn't mention which dwelling to inquire at. To complicate matters, we had to shout to the house tenant our needs, several yards away from the lighted porch. Three very large, growling Rottweilers paced the property and held us at bay - I've never been to a house where the owners didn't call their dogs off. A very disturbing, other-worldly experience. For the first time in my life, I feared dogs who really might attack me.

Finally, the man pointed us to the apartment and the dogs let us go. We knocked, taking in the strange air, the pen enclosed by flimsy chicken wire with a big communal bowl of food, one for water, one lean-to shelter. No noise. A woman came down and called the pups out. She looked hardened by life. Several pups sleepily crawl out of the lean-to. No, not that one, no...She goes in to coax the black one out. An expert saleswoman, she asked me to hold 'him' because the gate won't shut. Eight weeks old. One of the reasons I broke my promise to leave empty-handed was this scary place where guard dogs could easily intimidate pups through flimsy enclosures.

Her dreams of babyhood are delightful, as well as sad. I suspect she was separated from Mom too early. Separation and loneliness are big issues.

Last night when Baby Tanner was clucking, I personified her, watching her confused face as she was taken away, with her siblings. One by one, they left. She was the last of her litter to be adopted.

It breaks my heart to think of those who are truly alone, abandoned, sold into slavery, abused, treated as objects, used and discarded. I could not handle it. I would not be me anymore. Being alone - really alone, abandoned - does awful things. Being unwanted - that is the hardest part of humanity's fallenness - rejecting relationship.

Praise God that He is not that way. He goes to the ends of the Earth and back again, as far as He possibly can. He does everything to adopt us. "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Mt. 28:20).

God, be so very close to the 143 million orphans in this broken world. May they know that You love them, want them. You hold each of them in Your hand, so tenderly.

He is Present,
He is Near,
He gave His own Beloved,
to bring us into the family.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you've hit it right on the head. So close to home... Praise God indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got me all choked up and teary (while my daughter screams in protest of her own sleep) on a dreary Monday morning. I want to go save a puppy now....and possibly 10 orphans. Maybe 7, one from each continent. ??
    Have a blessed week Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in song: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." Praise God for his loving, compassionate heart for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. Your writing of Tanner's story made me want to rescue this little puppy--and I don't even like dogs ;o). What I wish for all of Christ's followers is for us to hold an orphan in our arms. Because few of us would be able to walk away empty handed, and that would be a beautiful thing. I read on my cousin Amber's blog, "We adopt because he first adopted us."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you Rachel -

    How much HIS love in us spurs us to. Any word of your orphan in Haiti? I keep praying - any news?

    ReplyDelete