Friday, March 26, 2010

Misleading Pet Food Labels (WIL 12)

A few weeks ago, I decided to grind up some chicken bones for my dog. I planned to use the bone meal in homemade buscuits. Searching for how to use bone meal correctly, or what it really is, I found Dr. Pitcarin's Complete Guide to Natural Food for Dogs & Cats.

In Chapter 2, Dr. Pitcarin addresses what's really in [commercial] pet food. Cynical disclaimer: this vet is trying to sell books, so it's in his interest to create controversy. Historically, scare tactics are profitable. Yet, frightening information holds a morbid attraction - I just have to know. On the other hand, as a vet, he may put himself out of business by keeping our pets healthier.

Dr. Pitcarin asserts, "the way [pet food] labeling is used does not really help us understand the quality of the food" (p. 10). He discusses how cooking temperatures sterilize many of the ingredients in food, destroying valuable nutrients. I've heard this argument favoring raw milk to pasturized milk, and it doesn't surprise me. Every page expounds the conspiracy. Pet owners spend $41 billion dollars a year in the United States alone. I am also not surprised to hear these accusations leveled at big business.

At this point, I am convinced they are not concerned with my health or vitality. (In fact, if I get sick, they likely have a sibling company that can provide medicine.) Sorry, I'm trying to stay objective. I am outraged by the idea that food not suitable for human consumption goes into pet food (p. 17). Feathers and hair can be added to pet food and labeled as "poultry by-products" or "dried animal digest" (p.12). Disgusting! I admit that my dog is able to digest much more terrible things than I would ever try to consume, however, I do not want her eating waste. Some by-products should just be burned.

I increasingly subscribe to the slow-food movement and pursue knowing exactly what I'm eating. I feel better physically and emotionally eating a balanced diet. Although I shutter to think how much energy Tanner would have if she was on a raw food diet, a seed of doubt about her kibble is planted in my mind. I am not ready to take the leap into cooking for her, but I am no longer comfortable with labels. With the continuing melamine recalls of China's products and insufficient consumer protection, it's difficult to keep my reaction pendulum from swinging in the opposite direction.

Who can I trust with my pet's health? My health? My life?

No comments:

Post a Comment