Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Let's talk politics

One of the familiar subjects my mind spins on late in the morning when I can't sleep is politics.  Today, I'm wondering: Why is the subject of politics taboo in polite conversation? Should it be?

I assert that it shouldn't be. Perhaps one reason why our current public politics have degraded to such hysterical name-calling, eviscerating witch-hunting, and fear-mongering is the fact that we don't seek out polite conversations about politics in private. It seems to me that our current politics are both extremely important and horribly broken. We'll never fix it if reasonable people in the real world that have real problems avoid talking politics with people if there is any chance of disagreement. Its clear that if we leave the dialog to the talking heads, the majority of what we'll get from both sides is a steaming heap of fecal matter. (Although I suppose that heap would be valuable in practice.)

What we need is to insist on seeking out different perspectives and having polite, reasoned discussions on important issues. It might take a billion little miracles, but it could actually change the tenor of public discourse.

2 comments:

  1. Well put. I heartily agree that practice makes perfect and that we NEED to practice this kind of uncomfortable discussion in order to arrive at better outcomes and more balanced perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a very good point--and I think you're right. But I'll be the first to admit that I'm one who avoids those conversations. Yes, I think a "billion little miracles" are definitely in order here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete