Monday, September 20, 2010

God Knew


My church is studying Ephesians this Autumn. The most amazing part of Eph. 1:1-10, this time, is where Saint Paul asserts that God chose us to be adopted before He created anything (v4-5). He didn't begrudgingly adopt us after He saw there was no other way or after we made such a mess that He had no choice but to fix us. God knew before anything else existed and He still went through with everything! God knew we would fail. God knew His Son would have to sacrifice, suffer a painful death and separation from the Father – something Jesus never knew until the day he died - yet, he still said 'Yes' to his Father and to us. God knew we couldn't do His work alone. God knew He would need to step in. God proved He was Faithful, knowing the cost and choosing us anyway. Amazing Love, how can it be?

I think that is the part of God's nature that is very foreign to my human nature. I often don't continue in a direction if I know what will happen, especially if it involves pain. I work so hard to avoid pain, even if it is short-term pain that will bring about great gain in the long-term. God is so different than I am. And I am so grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't (at least in the recent past) taken notice of the fact that God chose to adopt us from the beginning--that it wasn't Plan B. I guess that is why I feel so strongly that adoption shouldn't be Plan B for us as believers either.

    And, yes, I think there are many good reasons why we don't know the future. In our humanity and smallness, living the life God calls us to would be infinitely more difficult if we knew what awaited us in the short term.

    ReplyDelete