Friday, January 29, 2010

Receiving a Complement Takes Effort (WIL, 4)

    Recently, I was complemented as a contented woman. Even as the giver of this gift said the words, a small, knowing smile crossed my face. I know myself better than she does. I know that I continue to fight the hard battle, pursuing contentment. My journey is far from over. I doubt every day, sometimes every hour. And yet, refusing her gift of subjective truth is insulting to her and stagnating for me. Keep moving, keep pushing out of the comfort zone.
    One of the training modules in the Stephen Ministry curriculum is on assertiveness. Each trainee receives a list of the class members' names. Each trainee lists one thing they admire about each classmate and shares it at the next meeting - in front of everyone. I haven't seen so much blushing going on since high school youth group. But, each rose to the challenge of graciously accepting a shower of nine complements. Although the specifics of long lost to my memory, I will not forget the lesson and its importance. It is better to give than to receive, but receiving has it's own virtue.
    It's a long road to learn contentment. I've found there are many pieces to it and that it comes all along the journey, not just in one piece or at the end. Will I trust God and His promises today? Will I choose to believe Him and not just in Him? (Beth Moore makes a lasting distinction between the two in her study, Believing God.) This first step is essential for me. The next step is to staunchly remind myself every time I need reminding.
    The step I'm learning right now is to be open to what God has for me and whatever form it takes. It's a huge challenge for me because I like to control my life, my environment, my time. Yet in choosing God as my Father, I'm choosing to let Him decide what's best for me, when, where, and how. When I'm weak, He's strong - do I really believe that?? That's the crux of the challenge.
    I'm reminded of my pastor's recent sermon. He speaks the hard truth: Paul says to the Roman Church, God does not give effort points. Saying you follow Him doesn't count. Doing church-y things doesn't count. God is about transforming our entire beings. He longs for us to become more like Him. The only way I can see to follow is to decide to believe and then go where He leads.

                 "I will take it Lord, all you have to give..." (third day song)

Philippians 4:12-13

12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

2 comments:

  1. Now that I think about it, you really have made much progress in the way of contentment these last few years. But you are right, it didn't happen all at once. It happened along the way, while we've been sharing life. I know it is still a struggle, but I think that's the way life is--we don't conquer things so much as we learn to "do battle" with them, to make the daily choice not to give in to fear or doubt or discontentment or whatever it is nipping at our heels and trying to trip us up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! being okay with being in want...that is something I am so struggling with. I wish that I could say that I am okay with having just enough and no more...not even more to buy a coffee on occasion or rent a movie or go out to eat. I know those are all trivial things that mean nothing to those who can do them, having the means to actually go out on a date away from the house or afford a sitter...those are things I long for...and I need to learn to be okay with not having them. I often think that if I can become content where I am at, maybe, just maybe the Lord will see fit to move us on out of this mire. Then I think about how transforming mud/clay is and about how when we are left to constantly rely on God's mighty hands to carry us that is when He is able to work out the pieces of sand and muck that have found it's way into His masterpiece. Thanks for the thought provoking and Spirit filled prompt to never forget to Praise our Lord Jesus. ~love Meags

    ReplyDelete