Friday, December 09, 2011

Blessing


In reflecting on where David Platt has taken me on the journey through Radical, my thought-they-were-already-enlightened eyes have been opened. What is sticking with me is: "The key is realizing - and believing - that this world is not your home." (p179)

I feel this fact often, as I collide with the fallenness of this world. I live this fact often, as my own fallenness leaks out through my pores and into my actions (and inaction). Yet my survival instinct gains the upper hand, and I build my little nest, made of the comforts available to me. The Lord is my refuge, as Psalm 91 proclaims and He provides solace in the midst of the world's brokenness and blessings sweet enough to tantalize our imaginations of heaven - but to what end?. 

His blessings are to give us strength to live out our created purpose. Instead of huddling in bubbles of escape from the harm suffered by others, He gives us His boldness to go to people that convention has abandoned. Instead of words of violence in defense of institutions whose founder needs none, He gives us His Word of truth, grace, and hope to speak in a world devoid of each. Instead of grasping hands clinging to this world's fading comforts, He gives us His healing hands to extend into a deeply wounded world.

Lord of the universe and of my life, I surrender it once again - not that You might bless me, but that You might use me to bless this world that needs You more than anything.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, Rachel. You are an excellent writer. Thank you for sharing this, as it was a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete