Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Truth of the Incarnation: Sexuality

It is precisely the men and women who are dedicated to spiritual leadership who are easily subject to very raw carnality. The reason for this is that they do not know how to live the truth of the Incarnation” (Nouwen, In the Name of Jesus)



As a woman who struggles with several aspects of my sexuality, I had to ask:
What is the truth of the Incarnation? How would I live it?

Again, my women's bible study teacher shared this list in her lesson: by John MacArthur, based on Philippians 2: 5-11. By taking on flesh, Jesus:
      1. abandoned sovereign position
      2. became a servant (of God & His will)
      3. became fully human and approached sinful people
      4. adopted a completely selfless posture
      5. ascended as Supreme Prince
This is a list of what I came up with, responding to: How does one live that?
      1. We do not have a sovereign position to abandon. However, because of Messiah's work on the Cross and our acceptance of His covering, we are now co-heirs with Him. We do have a place in His Kingdom. Therefore, we are instructed to bring others into the Kingdom also, not just to revel in our position.
      2. As God's children, we recognize Him as Father, the Guide of our lives. Focus on Serving God, performing His will. Often that will include serving others, but they are not our focus, or boss. We must follow Messiah. Sometimes that will include walking alone with only Him for company.
      3. We cannot hide our humanness, sins, weaknesses, failings. We must find one with whom to be vulnerable, confess, and receive forgiveness from. Let someone be Jesus to you.
          1. We must practice 'No condemnation' toward others. Work to accept, instead of judge, them. Sin is sin to God. There is no hierarchy.
          2. Embrace your humanness (not the sinful nature or flesh, but the fact that you are a creation of the Living God). Lean on the Scriptures that speak of God's love for you and all people, His knowledge of your needs, and His desire to meet them, like a loving parent.
      1. JC left complete Independence and received Dependence. Follow Him. Become Dependent on Him and others in the community of believers. We were created for relationship. Part of relationship is putting yourself aside to help others get ahead (Phi. 2, MSG). JC not only chose to become human, he chose (every moment) to remain human. He could have gone back at any time. Yet, his focus was on the eternal prize – us (Hebrews 12).
      2. Because we believe Him, we will be raised up with Messiah. Because we share in His sufferings, we will also share in His glory (1 Pet. 5:1, Phil.3:10-11, Rom.8:17, 30, 2 Thes. 2:14).
It seems cruel to have to deny ourselves. Yet, so much of what we want is not the Best for us. It may be Good, but it's not the Best. Or, it may not be so good. [How can I really know? I'm not omniscient.] If I believe that God created me as I am, every detail, for a purpose, then I'm justified in being mad about the parts that conflict with His Word and instruction. However, if I believe that He created me but, for now, I am imperfect because I am bound to this fallen world, God wiggles off the hook; He's not the creator of my sinful desires. I have needs. And God knows I do (Mt. 6:8). But, He also said that He is more than enough to meet all my needs (2 Cor. 12:9). Do I believe it? Do I live it?

It's especially easy to become embittered about sexual needs (real and perceived). God has guidelines for a life that will please Him. If we love someone, we strive to please them. When we shift our focus from them to us, we are more likely to act unlovingly. Today's culture resonates our sinful nature, whipping up the idea that we must be gratified right now: I cannot wait. But God encourages patience in everything.

Isa. 30:18
Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you;
he rises to show you compassion.
For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait on him!”

Waiting is not something we like to do. It is hard. It feels pointless. We don't understand why the waiting is necessary. I can see now that if I had married any of the guys I dated before Bryce, it would have been disastrous. I did not know what I wanted, what I needed, or even who I was or wanted to become. After meeting Bryce, I got a clearer picture of the best woman I could be. [Hindsight is a lot closer to God's sight.] He was the first guy who was serious about his faith and who tried to live it, even if it meant putting me off temporarily.

Tit. 2:11-14
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.
12It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions,
and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,
13while we wait for the blessed hope – the glorious appearing
of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
14who gave himself for us to redeem us
from all wickedness and to purify for himself
a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.”

He is coming back! Let us eagerly await Him, doing Good in His Name until that day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your affirmation!

    And thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your journey. We *must* identify with the sin that we see in others in order to be honest with ourselves and avoid hypocrisy.

    Wow, "God wiggles off the hook" is a great phrase that popped out at me. What an apt depiction of our broken way of relating to our Creator, Redeemer, and Friend.

    ReplyDelete