Friday, March 04, 2011

A Tea Treat Review

Usually I follow recipes closely the first time. Call me pedantic, but I like to know where I'm starting before I let my creative streak run wild. Breads can be finicky and I more often hesitate when modifying their recipes than with general cooking. But, I knew these would work. They are small changes, but possibly cut the fat a bit without cutting the soft pound-cake consistency and flavor. And I got rave reviews, [good enough reason to share them here].

Lemon Tea Bread
original recipe by: America's Test Kitchen, Family Baking Book
[my modifications in brackets or notes at the end]
Makes: one 8-inch loaf

1 ¾ c all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
[½ tsp baking soda]
½ tsp sea salt
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 c sugar [red. By 1/3 c]
2 Tbsp fresh grated lemon zest
3 lg eggs [can sub just whites]
¼ c whole milk [½ c buttermilk instead]
2 tsp fresh lemon juice [increase to taste]

[Glaze (from: Better Homes & Gardens cookbook)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp sugar
Raw sugar for sprinkling]

  1. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 8 1/2-inch by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. [I used the standard size, 9-inch by 5-inch; the loaf only rises to half the height.]
  2. Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and soda in a medium bowl. Beat the butter, sugar, and zest together in a large bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 – 6 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined, about 30 seconds each. Beat in the flour mixture, milk and lemon juice until just combined, about 20 seconds (do not over mix).
  3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 65 – 75 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
  4. Let loaf cool in the pan, 10 minutes. [Brush glaze over the top. Sprinkle raw sugar on for slight crunch.] Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool one hour before serving.

Notes and modifications:
  • Use 3 egg whites instead of whole eggs – this is what I had on hand, leftover from another recipe.
  • Substitute buttermilk for whole milk. Increase to ½ c to compensate for substituting egg whites for whole.
  • Add ½ tsp baking soda to interact with the buttermilk.
  • Increase lemon juice to 4- 6 Tbsp, to taste. I only had 1 Tbsp of zest out of 2 lemons, so I increased the juice to compensate.
  • Cut sugar by 1/3 c because of sugary glaze and topping.

Like most quick breads, this loaf should freeze well, if it sticks around long enough to sneak into the freezer.

3 comments:

  1. I assume this is what we had last night....oh my GOODNESS this was so good! nothing left to freeze. I need MORE. i'm going to commission you to make this for me once a week! i'm not joking!!! start baking! hehe. thanks friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you ate this last night. It was really easy, so i wouldn't mind making it more often, although EVERY week might be a bit much, but for you, anything. I might consider it if you gave me an extended loan of your Microplane...=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, I love lemon. This sounds similar to a pound cake.

    ReplyDelete