Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Plum-Yum!

Last night, I followed a new recipe: 'Braised Chicken with Prunes and Cream' by Rachael Ray (in Everyday with Rachael Ray, Feb 2011). [Thanks so much to my dear friend who gave me the magazine.]

Trying to describe the taste, Bryce and I could only make yummy noises;
                                                          words failed completely.
It was delectable, delicious,..................................................worthy of moaning.
It pairs flavors - prunes, vinegar, cream -
that aren't supposed to go together (at least the vinegar part).
                                              But, Oh! The final product is amazing!

Just in case you've been convinced to try it:

1/2 c dried pitted prunes (plums)
1/4 c sherry vinegar (I used red wine, since I didn't have this on hand)
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp oil
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, trimmed and patted dry
Salt and pepper
1 onion, sliced
1/2 c sliced mushrooms (I thought of this addition while I was eating)
2 c chicken broth
1/3 c heavy cream
splash of sherry (I added this for that great flavor)

I served with:
3 c cooked long-grain (brown Basmati) rice
steamed asparagus spears

*In small bowl, toss the prunes with the vinegar and sugar. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes.

*Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat oil over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes; transfer to plate.

*Discard all but 1 Tbsp of fat and lower heat to medium. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. [Add mushrooms; saute 1 minute.] Add prune-vinegar mixture, stir, return chicken to pan. Add broth and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Stir in cream [and sherry].

*Plate and Enjoy! (Makes only enough for 4 meals unfortunately.)

1 comment:

  1. I *knew* giving you the magazine was the right thing to do--now you can do the experimenting and I can just poach the good ones you discover ;o). Glad you had a too-good-for-words dinner this week!

    ReplyDelete