Friday, December 10, 2010

Will write for food

Sometimes your bristles are up for a length of time. I'm less sensitive to it now because I've worked through my feelings after hearing so many attacks on how I use my time.

One of the most offensive experiences happened in front of a room full of strangers. I enrolled in a writing class because I wanted to hone my talents for observation. Besides, being in the same room with a bunch of creative people gets the juices flowing. However – this class was not what I'd hoped for, nor was the teacher gracious or encouraging.

In the first class, each person answered a few ice-breaker questions and talked about what they were interested in. I took the plunge, because I got some 'spiritual' vibes from the teacher, and stated my Faith. Gulp!

'Write what you know' was the beginning mantra. Well, what DID I know?? I was defining Home and still discovering myself. So, that's what I picked. I faithfully attended class, but my instructor harbored thinly-veiled hostilities. She banged the drum of active verbs and insisted I start my triteste with: 'I'm a wife; I don't work.'

“The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat” (2 Thes. 3:10).

I acquiesced because I've always trusted the Teacher more than myself. But, it felt like a Lie. And It was. But I no longer need to justify myself. I Do work – a lot. My status as a married woman does not change that. Even though I choose my compensation, my labor is not second-class.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Who says a homemaker does not work or is not willing to work? The working women--they must be jealous! What a blessed life we live when we can choose where to spend our time and energy, where to minister and give of ourselves. Our children & husbands benefit and are blessed and it extends to our neighbors, our church, community, and society as a whole benefits. Homemakers are the caretakers of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Devil is the father of lies.The Holy Spirit in your heart told you the teacher was speaking a lie. You are very worthwhile.Trust must be won. I'm not sure if I can explain.We must not close ourselves off from others but we must be wary. Trust the Holy Spirit.I have been hurt many times.People who put others down like this teacher are the problem.I try to find ways to build people up.I'm still working on being more like Jesus.The answer is love.You have a lot of love.

    ReplyDelete